Thursday 6 March 2008

Tango Snobbery

Comments like "Oh that's Nuevo tango, it's not tango", quite frankly, I don't like hearing. To the best of my knowledge I've been taught mainstream traditional argentine tango and I have a fairly live and let live attitude to styles - that means I don't want to be charged off the dance floor or have my partner cut up by vicious voleos.

In the Historical European Swordmanship community there is a vast selection of styles and weaponry to choose from. Be it spanish rapier or late french foil, italian cane or victorian pugilism. When the top practitioners of this community are asked which is the best weapon they will tell you "It is not the weapon, it is the man behind it".

Similarly I have heard people down rating teachers because they don't like what they teach. That is a matter of personal taste. Rate teachers on how they teach.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Right you are. The problem about Neo-tango is partially explained here and by the fact that because the moves used in neo-tango are a bit more flashy people instantaneously want to do them. But they require a technical proficiency that is not present in most pre-advanced tangueros resulting in more than often badly and uncomfortable moves. I think this is why neotango got so much of a bad reputation. And when people tell me that neo tango is not tango I remind them of the people that were so sure that the earth wasn't round that they killed Galileo...

La Nuit Blanche said...

exactly!!! thanks for this post. i wrote about something similar in my own blog, several days ago, a rant inspired by people caging themselves inside their own snobbery...

Supantheress said...

Limerick Tango,

TRUE TRUE TRUE.

:-)